Receiving and responding to consumer complaints

Responding to consumer complaints is an important part of Hanfa’s activities, which helps financial services users gain insight into their rights and obligations.

On the basis of complaints received and in accordance with relevant legislation, Hanfa conducts, where appropriate, off-site and on-site examinations. As a result, supervised entities may receive a warning relating to irregularities in their business operations and may have to eliminate any irregularities established, both with respect to provision of financial services and consumer protection. Complaints received may serve as an indicator of supervised entities’ activities and may point to actual or potential risks in their business operations, eventually leading to quality improvement in certain financial services, including better consumer protection. Where responding to complaints falls outside the scope of Hanfa’s competence, the complainant is referred to relevant competent authorities.   

It should be pointed out that Hanfa does not have authority to arbitrate in assets and liabilities disputes or to help exercising consumer rights that may arise from individual contractual relationship. Instead, Hanfa’s is authorised to examine any failures to act or errors relating to lack of compliance with legislative provisions. Issues relating to assets and liabilities disputes come within the competence of relevant judicial bodies, and adopting decisions in judicial proceedings lies outside Hanfa’s competence. Being a supervisory, and not an advisory body, Hanfa is not authorised to provide financial services users with legal advice.   

How to lodge a complaint?

The following text provides an instruction on how to lodge a complaint in case you find you have suffered damage inflicted by any of Hanfa’s supervised entities.

Should you have “problems” with any of Hanfa’s supervised entities, the following are the actions you may take:

  1. The first step should be lodging a written complaint or submitting a request for explanation of the problem to the supervised entity itself. Prior to taking any other measures, it is advisable to ask the supervised entity to provide a written response.
  2. In the case where you have not received any response from the supervised entity or your complaint has been rejected and you believe the supervised entity has infringed any provisions of the laws falling within Hanfa’s competence, you may submit your complaint to Hanfa.

When submitting a complaint to Hanfa, it is necessary to:

  • provide contact data on the complainant (name and surname, postal address) or contact data (name and surname, postal address) on the person authorised to represent the complainant, if any. Where the complaint is lodged by an authorised representative, it should be accompanied by a power of attorney.
  • sign the complaint
  • provide name and address of the legal person or name and address of the natural person the complaint relates to
  • provide clear explanation of the complaint and attach any relevant accompanying documentation. 

Apart from Hanfa’s postal address, complaints may also be submitted electronically at

When submitting complaints electronically, the maximum size of files containing documentation should be 3 MB, whereas the said documentation is to be delivered in one of the following file formats: PDF, DOC, JPG.